4 things to know before piercing her ears.
Ear piercing is a rite of passage for most American girls. As a parent, you want to make sure everything is perfect and, more importantly, safe.
Decide when the time is right
When should your daughter get her ears pierced? This can vary based on many factors including cultural norms. Since after-care is crucial, some experts recommend waiting until she can assume the responsibility of properly caring for her ears. Unsure if your daughter is ready for that responsibility? Try making a deal: If she can hande a specific chore every day for six weeks without being reminded, that will prove her ability to care for her piercings properly.
Prepare for aftercare ahead of time
Of course, you can’t leave all aftercare up to her! You should be prepared to step in and gently guide your daughter through the process of caring for her newly pierced ears. For the first 6 weeks after piercing, we recommend:
• Washing with antibacterial liquid soap and water 1-2x per day
• Cleaning with saline solution or aftercare wipes 2-3x per day
• Avoiding the use of alcohol, peroxide, or bar soap on the piercing site
• Not wearing tight, heavy, or nickel-based earrings
Carefully choose your piercing location
One of the biggest risks with ear piercing is the risk of infection. This risk can be mitigated by carefully selecting the right professional and location. Consider the following:
• Training: Look for someone who has been well-trained and is willing to tell you where and how they learned to pierce ears.
• Cleanliness: Look at the establishment beforehand. Avoid studios that are disorganized or dirty. Look for a clean facility or consider an at-home ear piercing.
• Ask about the procedure: Ask the professional what types of tools they will use, and to describe the steps they will take to minimize the risk of tissue damage and infection.
• Research: In many cases, you can learn about a professional’s reputation by reading reviews online from past customers.
A unique and fun way to elevate your daughter’s piercing experience is to have a Pair Piercing registered nurse make a house call. Registered nurses provide superior hygienic standards and medical excellence in the most relaxing environment – your home!
Make it last
Continue the fun and excitement with our Pair Earring of the Month Club. Girls in the Pair Earring Club receive a new box each month with a different pair of hypoallergenic earrings, treats, and something to share with her grown up. Prices start at $16.95/month, with the option to pick the length of membership (3, 6, or 12 months) and type of metal (Sterling Silver, Gold Vermeil, or 14KT Gold).
Pair Earring of the Month Club
★★★★★ (5 out of 5 stars)
Designed to celebrate the magical moments of adolescence, the Pair Earring Club is a special monthly surprise that includes a hypoallergenic and nickel-free pair of earrings, and content designed to initiate meaningful conversations. Your first box will also include an earring stand, earring pouch, journal, and pen!
Starting at $16.95/month
Our trained nurses come to your home for ear piercings that are as safe as they are special. You can even get pierced in your PJs! Celebrate with family or invite some friends to share in the moment.